Friday, January 5, 2018

Bombogenesis and cloaking squad cars

Let's talk a minute about WINTER STORM GRAYSON - or the newest buzz word Bombogenesis


There are very few times when meteorologists get a HUGE surprise.  If you would have asked anybody last Sunday about flying to the east coast on Thursday you would have heard "no problem".

Remember - typically the pros can spot a storm 2 weeks out 3000 miles away - but this one?  NOPE.

What is really tweaking weather geeks is that this storm was a rain storm in Florida and 24 hours later, after reaping havoc on the entire East coast with 15 deaths, 4000 flights canceled and inland flooding it is now way north of Maine . . . . IN 24 HOURS.


To be classified as a Bombogenesis a storm has to drop 24 millibars in 24 hours.  This dropped 58 millibars in 12 hours.  If you have a barometer at home this is a drop of 1.70 inches.  Unbelievable. 

I did not talk about it because it's a one news cycle event, not your typical 7 day event. It really was the perfect storm.  "Warm" Atlantic water, a vibrant arctic air mass colliding and some wind sheer to get things twirling in Florida. BAM!!  This will be studied for a very long time.

BUT - what about Wisconsin - Relief is on the way.  Heck - we could even see some rain next Wednesday night.  Monday through Thursday we should be in the mid to upper 30s and Gus will finally get some play time.   GOOD LORD HE NEEDS IT!  HE IS DRIVING US NUTS.

Sunday will be the day we can go outside safely again.

********************

Last night in Council there was strangeness.  First of all it was a Thursday so everything was off.

Then I see the City Attorney was absent.  At first I thought it was because (and we all know this) that on days off lawyers and attorneys spend their times at the yacht club playing polo and eating truffles but THEN,  I spotted a judge in the crowd (there was only 1 person so it was easy) and YEA -  attorneys and judges in the same room?  YEA - when have you ever see THAT!

BUT WAIT - it could have been the trifecta - judge, attorney AND the Police Chief (notice the Caps - that is called respect . . . or fear . . same thing).  The only time you see those three in the same room is if you have done something very bad.

Luckily the Chief was there for the secret session having to do with the Police contracts.  I know the Chief wants a K9 unit but I believe he is being short sited and not thinking big enough.  OR OR - it is already here in Columbus and we don't know it!!!   WHO KNOWS!! 

What am I talking about?

As I was obsessing over WINTER STORM GRAYSON I spotted something that has been kept a secret. Squad car cloaking!!   Watch this video I captured yesterday - YEA - secret is out buddy!

Watch the left side of the image and keep your eyes on that squad car.  YEA YEA!!! drop the mic! 


https://youtu.be/NIGnuWAQeEk



Of course if you watch a little longer the WHAT NEXT the video switches the Weather Channel talking about ME, Rod Meloat.

https://youtu.be/QQenMXaxYqQ


  
OK OK - many of you are now saying Crips!  that dude brags a lot. Yea - it's a character flaw I developed when I was at a low point in my life and I was called onto the carpet (yet again - you should see Gods permanent file on me) for doing a naughty thing at work YET - I was following instructions.  

After showing all the behind the scenes things I had been working on to make a $300 million a year system run more smoothly my boss said I needed to talk myself up more.  WELL, I seemed to take that to the extreme. 

OH - what did I do? I was suppose to learn yet another new computer language that I would never use and they told me to write a program of my choice to learn the language.  I did. It was great having all that main frame computer power.  Well, I guess they did not appreciate that it was a system that accumulated data for sports wagering for my NFL Bridge Jumper system.  (bet ON really bad teams when they play really good teams). 

But I digress

Back to cloaking.  I think the Columbus DPW should also have cloaking devices. What could possibly go wrong.  

******************************  

The economy created 148,000 jobs last month, way less then expected. There was a plunge in retail jobs.  HOWEVER - it was the 87th month in a row where the US created more jobs they it lose.  Thank you Obama. 

Sadly Bistro Racian is closing in Columbus.  

***************  in other mindless news 

The Buffalo Bills are in the playoffs for the first time in 17 years as Packer fans tar and feather their coaches for missing the playoffs this year.  Yet - the Bills are there sort of by luck.  Play off teams rarely give up more points they they score. 

++

Jordon Greenway will be the very first Africa-American hockey player to play in the Olympics 

+++++

Cleveland will have a parade for their football team having a perfect year at 0-16. Only the second team ever to accomplish that feat (remember - the Packers almost ruined their season).   

Costco (a non-sports company) sold 87 million rotisserie chickens last year.  I dislike those chickens - they seem fake and full of weirdness - I hate the texture of their chicken and they are full of bad hormones and fillers.  

Speaking of grocery stores - I stopped at Pic-n-save last night and there were cars running with nobody inside as the drivers were shopping!  I REALLY wanted to jump in one and move it to the other side of the parking lot.  Probably not a good idea (I think I would have done that 50 years ago). 

+++

That new book on Trump that Trump is advertising with his Tweets - sold only in 20 minutes at midnight in Washington.  Our President is literally losing his mind.  Trump eats a lot of fast food because he is afraid of being poisoned.  This was known BEFORE he became President.  


There are a few fast food places I WON'T eat at because I WAS poisoned. 

OK - my hands are too cold to type anymore. Have a great weekend and get outside Sunday

Cheers and bunny hugs! 

Rod