Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Dolby Atmos

The word of the day is Dolby Atmos.

As I re-acquaint (also called re-obsessing) myself with audio for the first time in 15 years it's like a new world.  My modus operandi in my life seems to be, find a problem, obsess over gaining as much knowledge as possible, do what has to be done and move on to the next obsessin.

When I created my "home theater" in my living room 15 years ago I created a 7.1 system that was pretty darn good.  But that was 15 years ago.  Speakers last almost forever and receivers have not changed that much . . . I thought.  True and not true it seems.

When you to go a movie you will see the big THX or DTS logo meaning the movie will have super good audio . . . but it is so 2000s.  The buzz now is Dolby Atmos.

A typical 7.1 surround sound system has 3 front speakers, left, center, right and 4 surround speakers plus one subwoofer. It sounds pretty good as sound moves from one speaker to the next.  BUT NOW . . . . . Dolby Atmos technology has come along.

Dolby Atmos is an object base 3D surround sound system which bounces sound off ceilings and creates a sound bubble.  Instead of a helicopter going from left front to right back Dolby Atmos has it going from left bottom to flying over your head.  Sound is actually attached to objects on the screen magically.

There is more and more Dolby Atmos created content with DVDs and Netflix and Amazon Prime having content.  It's sort of like the 4K TV for audio.  Special equipment is needed and if you have a good system I would not upgrade  . . .YET . . but if you are creating a NEW system buying Dolby Atmos capable receivers and speakers is a no brainer.

SADLY my blu-ray player was going to be my PS4 but NAY - PS4s are not Dolby Atmos capable.  Xbox1 are but they are not that great for audio.  They can PLAY it but it's not real great.

ANYWAY  - this does a better job of explaining this new technology

https://youtu.be/wsAHls0_9O0    


Yea - sort of an advertisement wasn't it

here is a good 6 minute review from a dude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fOLhWywKVE

*********************************

I was watching in shock as King Trump's approval ratings were rising after the tax cuts and they got all the way up to 40%.  But then the thrill of an extra $10 a check started to wear off and his ratings are dropping like a rock once again and we prepare for another Government shut down in 14 days as they kick the can down the road once again.

But the good news for Wisconsin is that Jesse Kremer , the social conservative nutbag, literally worst Republican in the Wisconsin State Assembly is not running. Another rat jumping off the GOP sinking ship.

This guy is a horrible human.  In a speech he literally said he believes the earth is 6000 years old. He is transphobic, homophobic, anti-abortion and co-authored a bill that said the UW could expel any student that protested a speaker.

(To be honest I believe Madison "liberals" are not at all liberal as they hate anybody that does not agree with their liberal views but that is MY issue).

He also authored a bill that would make it almost impossible for the public to view police body cam footage.

So long, you won't be missed.

**********************

Ursula K. Le Guin passed away yesterday. She wrote 20 novels, over 100 short stories, seven essay collections, 13 children’s books.  I read a few of her books and as I recall loved them.  Now I must read them all.

****************
OH - have I mentioned HQ Trivia?  The newest rage for winning free money? Perhaps I have, never mind.  My BEST so far is to be in the top 22,000 of the 1.2 million playing.  I lost last night on a question asking to choose who was the tallest of 3 tennis players.

OH - Saturday I missed a question on what NFL player did not have a video game named after him.  Emmitt Smith, Brett Favre or some other guy.   It was Favre.  I was thinking who Madden because I knew he was on the cover once but it was not an entire game. 

OH - one question concerned Wisconsin and the guy said "if you picked Wisconsin you are wrong as Wisconsin has the original white Walker as governor"  LOL

The question was - What first letter of a State does NOT have a Republican governor,  W, V or C you have 4 seconds.  4 seconds goes REALLY fast.

*******************

RIP Deer #83 who passed away in our deer park.  I still find this park a confusing thing to have in a city.  So confusing. 

*******************

This weekend is looking good.  Friday we COULD hit 50 but it will feel more like 35 with a LOT of wind.   Saturday looks great with 46, a lot less wind and sunny.  Back to 31 on Sunday so we're in this up and down trend but there are no long term cold spells in the future . . at the moment.