Thursday, March 29, 2018

IT'S OPENING DAY!!!

One of the best days in the year.    Baseball Prospectus using PECOTA predicts the Brewers will win 83.1 games and end 5 games behind the Cubs.  It's all about the starting pitching for the Brewers and their lack of depth at that position.  The Crew added Dan Jennings yesterday who happens to be on MY SOM team so I know him intimately (in a manly sportsy way). 

Jennings is a lefty who is pretty even vs. RHB and LHB.   He walks a fair number of LHB and will  give up a HR or 2 vs. RHB but he comes from Arizona which is a home run ballpark . . not as HUGE as Miller Park which is a HUGE HUGE home run park, in fact the best home run park for left handed hitters in the majors in the last 3 years. Not so much vs right handed hitters though.  Philadelphia (one of the prettiest ballparks in the majors) and Yankee Stadium are bigger HR parks.     

Wrigley field is the WORST ballpark for home runs vs. left handed hitters . . well according to SOM numbers.  

So the issue for the Brewers will be getting starters to go 6-7 innings. They have a pretty good bullpen IF, they are not tired. 

************************

I made a cameo appearance at city council last night.  We had to tie up some loose ends with road construction contracts and had a meeting at 6:30.  I was waiting around and literally said to DJ, "I wish these meetings were at 6:00, I hate waiting".   

Phone rings.  "ARE YOU COMING?"  what?  Now?  Meeting is at 6:00 - So I rush to City Hall in time to vote to adjourn.  OOPS!!  

*************************

You know  - gerrymandering is NOT just a GOP thing.  Democrats do it also . . . just not as good as the GOP.   The Supreme Court is hearing arguments from Maryland over illegal Democrat gerrymandering. 

***************************

Congress gave Trump 1.6 BILLION for build a 33 mile wall to connect to a couple other walls.  The problem is it will blow away a butterfly refuge. Typical GOP.  Keep Mexicans out AND kill useless wildlife at the same time. Win win for the GOP.   

*****************************

I am the only American who really cannot stand Rosanne.  Never liked her show and she just irritates the hell out of me and that was BEFORE I found out she was a huge Trump supporter.

***************************

Former mayor Crombie took a photo of the Columbus Post Office and I commented that I was almost arrested for taking photos of government facilities.

For instance - I was on the opposite side of the lake in Springfield ILL and was shooting some photos when two Homeland Security vehicles roll up in a screeching stop and asked me what the hell I was doing.  

WELL - I pointed at my camera and tripod and said "I'm taking photos daa! (I didn't say the daa part but did say the rest). I thought it was rather obvious what I was doing (and I wonder why I'm always in trouble).   

I was told to hand over my camera and come downtown.  As luck would have it my mom was with me and she comes up and asks what is going on and it is explained I can't take photos of a power plant. 

WELL - my mom who is always trying to help literally said "what terrorist would bring his mother with him on a mission".   sigh!    THANKS MOM!!  

We talked and I was explaining to him how I loved images of big industry (I do) and pointing to the plnt said "LOOK AT THAT - it's awesome".   The guy then said maybe if I just delete my card I would not have to have my camera taken away.   We talked and then he was telling me how awesome the plant looks at at night!.   YES I said - I googled it and the images on the internet were GREAT.    



after about half an hour of covering my ass (not the first time for THIS photographer) I was allowed to drive off. 

I was also REALLY yelled at when taking photos of Club LeMark in Madison, a biker-ish bar.  The employees asked me to take some photos of the REALLY boring wooden gray square box of a building so I could "do my thing". 

The owner sees me and is just screaming at me as I wait for a sunset.  I had to explain I was from MATC and taking photos of local bars as a project!  He did not appreciate me.  A large canvas image still hangs in the bar. 

Gotta run - have a great Opening day!