Monday, March 12, 2018

You would have made HOW MUCH? CORRECTION!

Correction - It was pointed out to me that I was "Totally irresponsible" in something I had on a previous blog about the anniversary of the financial crisis.  Which is not actually true but I was a little off as I skipped a few words in my skimming of a few paragraphs in my reading. 

As of Wednesday's close, an investor buying $100 of an S&P 500 fund at the closing price on the first trading day of each month since March 2, 2009, would have a portfolio worth $19,333 as of Wednesday's close, factoring in the price appreciation of the past nine years"

OOPS - I guess I did not see the $100 addition every month which makes a difference.  So you need to add another $10,900  LOL  So  REALLY - you only made like $7,000, not $19,000 (this is why I do  not work at H&R Block).   Taking out the $100 per month and purely on the return would have netted you only $8,000 in profit.

Actually makes a little more sense doesn't it LOL

http://www.businessinsider.com/stock-market-investing-financial-crisis-bottom-worth-2018-3

**********************************************

I'm not even going to tell you what DJ did this morning . . . the hell I'm not.

She could not find her phone so I called.  She was wandering around the house trying to find the ring tone that was just out of her hearing range and always behind her . . . . . . . yup . . .HER BACK
 POCKET!

Been there - done that.

***********************

Ten years ago this coming Friday Johnnie Depp came to Columbus and I was mentioned (name drop alert) in Vanity Fair a short time later which started the biggest dropping the ball opportunity ever in Columbus history.

I think only 2 people took advantage of a major motion picture company coming to town.  Michelle Martin and I.   I moved on to be an alderman and a famous tri-county photographer/blogger and Michelle's career took off being a amazing destination wedding photographer.   

I remember walking into what will become The Black Kettle and being called a paparazzi . . . and not in a good way.  Although one image was purchased by the largest Japanese movie magazine . . so maybe I was.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2008/03/do-all-movie-pr

HEY - didn't we just get done with this?  (photo from March 12th 2008)



******************************

My brother and wife came down from Kewaunee and we watched our first real movie on THE SYSTEM.   The Darkest Hour - Bravo!  fantastic movie!!!   The next night we watched Victoria & Abdul which was odd as we are also just finished season 2 of Victoria.   Both great but I cried when Queen Victoria dies.  She was an awesome Queen!

HOWEVER - and this is important for anybody ever thinking about remodeling of finishing their basement. 

We all know that dry wall dust is just a f*cking b*tch to get rid of. A nightmare.  When they say "take everything out of the basement", they mean EVERYTHING. If you hide stuff behind a closed door. It will be covered by an inch of dry wall dust.

HOWEVER - somethings I did not think about.  The furnace filter. OMG.  I did not think about that until Thursday. I went to take out the old filter and it was more like a solid brick of drywall.

I put the new filter in and look at the savings from our NEST.  Friday and Saturday instead of running 6 hours a day it was 2 hours!    I felt like pig pen carrying the old filter as a cloud of dust was trailing me


Something else Ralls mentioned is that I should have the ceiling vent in the bathroom run for the next year to vent out all the chemicals that are now off gassing from the floor and especially the drywall.

Just like when a new house needs 3 years to dry out a new basement is the same.  He is a building problem fixer as a profession - Melotte, Morse, Leonatti, Parker - Architects, Consultants   and mold in NEW houses is a real issue.  With homes being so air tight new houses can't dry out and mold is created.

He also said people should REALLY change out their air filter twice a year as modern furnace motors are not strong enough to handle expensive filters.  Always buy the cheapest filter and change it out twice a year.  Much cheaper then replacing a furnace motor.

**************************

One thing you lose when you retire -access to tournament brackets, Super bowl grids and all that work stuff like Indian food and treats! 

But - who in Wisconsin cares about the brackets . . . if you are not at work. LOL

************************

Sales of high heels are down 12% while woman's sneakers are up 37%. I'm assuming more wearers of high heels are woman but perhaps that is not a politically correct concept.

oops -gotta run.  Andy Black is coming over to talk bar building.

BTW - Steve Black and company did our basement- 100% happy and $20,000 less then waunakee remodeling.

OUT