Monday, April 7, 2008

The Sweetness of Johnny Depp

WOW - I just get a BIG cup of coffee and am rereading the blog one last time when I get a call. "Rod, we could use you in a little meeting can you come right away" Sure I say.

I walk in and there are 12 people from three different groups and they all want to use MY data and they are all asking me questions and arguing over things WAY above my head. AND THE MEETING LAST TWO AND ONE HALF HOURS!

So - I'm putting this out and reading it later. Good luck with the spelling!
-------------------------------

OK - back to reality.

Many people here in Columland are now sitting at work feeling a little tired and a tad more at ease with the world after this weekend.

For the first time since October we had great weather - THERE IS HOPE!
-----------------
Diane was looking at some YouTube vids and commenting how scary it must be for JD to shake hands and meet the crowd. I had never REALLY thought of it but watching the video's, yea, it really must be a little intimidating.

There was a point where one of the "B" actors was talking to the crowd and laughing and telling jokes and he commented how lucky he was because he could do that. He was not stuck in the trailer only to be able to come out under guard and security.

That's really sort of sad isn't it. We tend to not think of "stars" as real people like you and I. We think they are stars and are used to all attention. Well, they might be used to it but they don't have to like it. I bet JD would LOVE to come out and sit at the curb and just talk and have a conversation with his fans. But he can't. It's sad

This brings me to a story that happened in Columbus on the 3rd day of shooting.

I received in an email and I'm hoping you guys can help me out.

Here is the letter.

I am writing you because I am the grandmother of the little girl that got that hugged from Mr. Depp on Thursday evening March 20. I've been on line looking to see if anyone had posted a shot of her getting a hug. I didn'’t. I found your blog and read most of the postings and saw most of the wonderful photos

I picked my granddaughter up from a half a day of school and asked her if she would like to go and see if we could get a glimpse of Johnnny Depp. So we went to Columbus. We ended up parking a couple of blocks from the trailers. We waited and found out that Johnny was there. He eventually drove by and waved and we got a glimpse of him. We were thankful to be able to see him. Everyone in the crowd was very nice and pleasant to be around and sharing their stories and sightings. They were shooting up by the mansion. We walked up there but no one could really see any thing. We had dinner and walked around downtown because you could now. Found it interesting, like walking back in time. We heard that Johnny was back at the trailer and he might be signing autographs and people could possibly get pictures.

We were near the end of the barricade talking with others. I were commenting on how nice it would be if he came out and walked past everyone.

One of His people was down on the end and talking to us and someone had said she had brought something for Mr. Depp. I said that I had something for him also. This man asked what it was and we showed him what we brought. He said, "Ok this is what’s going to happen, Johnny’s going to be coming over here to talk to you and he’ll know that you have these gifts for him. He might not take them personally but the tall white haired guy will ( Jerry his body guard)".

I told my granddaughter that I wanted her to give it to him so she could meet him and I could get a picture of her giving it to him. (I wanted her to have a wonderful memory of meeting Johnny Depp).

The crowd was very pleasant and it was a real treat to see him up close. He came over to the area where we were and he didn’'t stop like we were told. My granddaughter says “grandma he did stop and get his present” she said it a couple of times. I was just going to tell her that it was ok and people around her said “honey just go out there and take it out to him” and others urged her to go out also.

The next thing I know she was out there saying “Johnny Depp I have a gift for you “ and he turns around and she hands him the gift and he bends down and hugs her.

I hear most of the crowd say awe!

I'’m trying to get a picture because I didn'’t know she was going to do it. She came back and she was in tears "“grandma he hugged me I can’t believe it".”

I asked what he said to her and she says "He said “God bless you"” I can’t believe he hugged me.

I don’t believe she would have run out there if she hadn’t been urged on and we were told he would stop by one of Johnny’s people.

I am truly happy for all those people that did get a picture with him and those that did get hugged by him. ( There were others, I talked with a bunch of them) I am happy for all those that had the opportunity to have been there, all 3 days in Columbus, and every where else he has filmed at, get wonderful pictures and have all the wonderful experiences that they had. And I am sure that there are those that were happy with the momentary glimpses that they got also.

I am very grateful that Mr. Depp did what he did. What a gracious man !!! What a wonderful human being!! What a blessing for all! It’s not everyday that this happens in WI. Things always happen for a reason and the reasons are not always revealed to all.

So there’s the story, if you have come across a good picture of her being hugged by Johnny or know of anyone that got one somewhere else maybe you can steer me in that direction. I would be grateful.
-------------------------
What a touching story - am I getting to be a big softy?

There are a few things I cut out of the story as the writer apologized for her daughters . . . . . aggressiveness and was worried that people were mad. I assured her nobody was. There was another incident earlier at Crown Point with crazed teenagers touching JD's face but this is different.

So - we are looking for JD hugging a little girl in Columbus! If anyone comes across one give me a shout - I don't want to post an email address on the net (it's too late for me LOL).
-----------------------------
News - My little elves are watching Little Bohemia and it is looking like there will be some action around April 25th. At least the place will be packed with people. Closed set???

Oshkosh - looks like the Public Enemies - Columbus Army will be advancing on Oshkosh Friday - have fun guys - I am entrusting you for good photos and information.

Photos from Chicago - diginux0 has some nice photos on fliker and also a nice blog Speak, it ain't illegle yet.
-----------
Man that Depp saving lives is really traveling around the world in all the papers today.

TRUTHINESS ALERT!

Truthiness: that which one holds to be true regardless of what is supported by fact.

It appears that Johnny Depp turned into a real-life action hero on the set of his latest film, “Public Enemies,” as he saved a group of extras from being crashed by an out-of –control car.

Depp, 44, was shooting a scene as bank robber John Dillinger is his recent crime drama when a stunt-driver in a 1933 Ford car sped onto a patch of ice and skidded towards six extras, who were apparently standing with their backs turned. The “Sweeney Todd star” noticed the danger and stepped into action. According to a witness, “Johnny slammed into the group with arms outspread, shoving them all back,” Entertainmentwise reports.

I have it from several semi reliable sources that this story is a . . dare I say . . a Fish of April .

Unless you believe the National Enquirer 4/1.

------------------

First photos of Marion Cotillard from diginux

The Poser House - Columbus

There was and will be more filming at the Poser House in Columbus. I was looking for some information on the history of the house and Kris came up with this.

“Frederick Chadbourn was the son of Rueben W. Chadbourn, one of the earliest money lenders and bankers in Columbus. Frederick succeeded his father as president of the First National Bank at the age of 25. He was a philanthropist who gave the parsonage to the Olivet Church, the children’s building to the Fireman’s Park and the clock tower to the city hall.

This house is one of only a few residences designed by the architectural firm of Van Ryn & DeGelleke in Milwaukee, a firm known for designing schools and hospitals. The Chadbourn House is a fine example of a transitional Queen Anne/Tudor style. The Tudor style is one of the English Revival styles which peaked in America between 1910 and 1930.

The style was based on the English Arts and Crafts Movement and consisted of architect-designed homes that were not meant to imitate past styles. The best of the houses of this type were built of the finest materials, preferably of local origin and required skilled craftsmen to build them. An adjacent carriage house was build in a matching picturesque style.

The style was initiated by people like Henry Ford who brought it back after visiting their native England. “

Thats all I have time for - MAN - what a start of a week!!!

Rod