Wednesday, May 7, 2008

You Just Can't Make This Stuff Up

I got an email from 33 Graham yesterday saying "You seemed a little off".

Yea - I was a little stressed yesterday. I get to work and a program that divvies out $12 million has a weird results and an unknown problem. Not a problem normally except I am told this HAS to be fixed in the next six hours. OK!

So I get back and fifteen minutes later my sup comes over and says - "let's go to Starbucks, we need to talk". THAT is never a good thing right? I don't really have time but . . . . . it IS free coffee!

And the rest is still a secret!

OUT OF MY COMFORT ZONE!!!!!

So that is why perhaps I was a little off.
----------------------------------------
In the You Can't Make Up These Things.

I was looking at the paper this morning and there was an article about a new group of reality shows.

I'm not a reality junkie (SHOULD be called unscripted shows) but I do like a few. Survivor, Amazing Race, The Mole (non celebrity coming in late May) Ice Road Truckers, The Deadliest Catch.

If you have never seen Ice Road Truckers even anti reality people seem to like it. They follow truckers as they deliver loads across the frozen Canadian lakes.

There is a new slew of those "job" shows coming out.

Ax Men follows lumberjacks in the Pacific Northwest. I'm wondering if the Monty Python song is the theme song.

Verminators - On the trail of pest infestations.

Wrecked - On the prowl with Chicago tow truck operator. Good grief!

and a new show on CW that kicked The PussyCat Dolls ass in the ratings - Farmer Wants a Wife. Sounds fascinating.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Historical faux pa.

Remember that very interesting find about Jerry Clifford on the poster in the Auditorium?

Yea - pretty good story . . . IF IT WAS TRUE!!

That is John Clifford, not Jerry.

Thanks Sam for making me look like a fool! (but a very interesting one).

From Sam.

John Clifford ran for Congress in 1918, and was defeated by a very narrow margin (less than 200 in Dodge County) despite heavy endorsement from the press.

The mention of George Cohan's song "Over There" on the poster dates it to World War I. The song was written in 1917, and soon became the unofficial anthem of the American war effort. The poster quotes the song's refrain.
Over there, over there,
Send the word, send the word over there
That the Yanks are coming, the Yanks are coming
The drum's rum-tumming everywhere
So prepare, say a prayer,
Send the word, send the word to beware
We'll be over, we're coming over
And we won't come back till it's over, over there
That makes the poster about 90 years old!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Serastes Duerre came down from Wisconsin Dells for the Madison shoot. Stuck around for a meet and greet and was able to get this shot of Christian Bale. I put a frame around it and bingo

Great shot Serastes. Were you about to get a big one on the lips from Christian??

Another photo from Meagan.

It's funny - I have lunch on the Capital lawn almost every day. We walk through the Cap and are so used to it we never look up at the amazing beauty of the dome (I'll take some shots tomorrow).

Madison is one of only two major cities in the world located on an Isthmus, the other is St. Petersburg (used to be called Leningrad).

This photo was found by debsmad - not sure who took it.

The reason for posting it is that it's a pretty nice shot AND it is Scott (alias 33 Graham).



And from 33 Graham



Here is the article from the Wisconsin State Journal Monday July 23, 1934 about Dillinger's death.

(click to enlarge)

----------------------------
Anybody up for gutter humor????? (not required reading material)

I was emailing back and forth Julie who is going to be an Extra in Chicago (odd the dates THERE keep changing - it's not just Columbus). She wrote back saying "I've been told to bring a jog bra, nude nylons, a girdle thing (spanx) and underwear to the fitting. Sounds a little scary."

My reply was something like "Are you sure it was for "PUBLIC ENEMIES" or was there an "L" missing in Public.

BA BOOM!

Sorry to her and others - I just type what I am thinking, it . . . . . just comes out sometimes!

Cheers
Rod