Tuesday, October 18, 2016

My First Job - EV Melotte

Talked to Elwood for the first time yesterday since The Ride home.  Told him Madison had about an inch of rain and Columbus about 1/3 of an inch.  He was as unbelieving as I was.

***********

Seems Columbus will have another brew pub.  Council (I got home at 10:45 last night) gave it's last "normal" Malt Beverage license to Dubs Brew which will go into Todd Frey's old building on 140 N. Dickason.

+++

Bistro Racian is getting closer to opening in the old Mama Mia's place

 
****
Latest simulations for The Election have Clinton with a 88.6% chance of winning and The Senate a 73.8% chance of turning Democrat. Feingold has a 94% chance of winning in Wisconsin.  Of course now the Republicans say they will block ANYBODY Clinton chooses for Supreme Court.   sigh!

+++

Netflix now has 86 million subscribers.  I started watching Narcos a chronicled look at the criminal exploits of Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar." on Netflix.  Sort of an eye opener on the 70s cocaine situation.

++++++

Alabama has a not completed Nuclear Power plant up for sale if anyone is interested. Maybe some evil scientist might consider it for experiments?  Only $36 million.        


*****************

My First Job - EV Melotte

I was always one of the first on the bus and almost always sat in the window seat, right side, second row back.  I could see the driver’s profile.  Morning and night, that whole summer, I never saw him change his deadpan expression.  I don’t think he liked his job much.

At Borgs I was given a hairnet to wear at all times, and warned that I was never to try to guess what top-secret item I was making, and never ever to talk about what I did.  Then I was seated at an assembly line, given a needle nose tweezers and shown how to place several minute and delicate wheels and cogs into what was obviously a tiny clockworks.  “Ah,” I thought.  “Timers for bombs.  Probably incendiary.”  I never talked about my job except to say I was on an assembly line.  “Oh,” people said, “Timers for incendiary bombs.”  So much for secrecy.

We all hated hairnets, but I put mine on as I entered the building, and didn’t take it off until I left it.  I was very obedient in those days.  Many of the younger women only put them on when the forewoman ordered them to, and pulled them off as soon as she walked away.  One day a young woman whose long beautiful hair I had much admired got her hair caught in the spinning shaft of her machine.  It was way across the big room from me, but we all heard the screams and saw the commotion over there.  I heard later that she’s lost a couple inches of her scalp.  I expect it was exaggerated, but I never saw her again.

It was on that assembly line that I first discovered that I was far-sighted.  By the end of each day we all had headaches, but everybody else was leaning nose down toward the belt to focus their eyes, while I was leaning way back at arm’s length trying to focus mine.

I earned sixty cents an hour that summer.  I seem to remember that my take-home pay was just about twenty-two dollars.  Each week I had gave my mother five dollars of that for room and board, gave the coal yard ten dollars of it to pay off the family’s much overdue coal bill, put five dollars away for school clothes and supplies, and had about two dollars left for wild spending.
I don’t remember enough about that job to know how I felt about it, but I know I felt a lot of satisfaction at earning my own money, even if I didn’t keep much of it.

wo dollars.  Each week I have my mother five dollars of that for room and board, gave the coal yard ten dollars of it to pay off the family’s much overdue coal bill, put five dollars away for school clothes and supplies, and had about two dollars left for wild spending.

I don’t remember enough about that job to know how I felt about it, but I know I felt a lot of satisfaction at earning my own money, even if I didn’t keep much of it.

********************



********************

The last 11 touring elephants from Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus kicked off their retirement in Florida on Friday with a buffet brunch of carrots, apples, celery, loaves of bread and lots of hay. (May 6)