Thursday, May 24, 2018

The Voice of the Chadron State Eagles - who cares!

I wasn't going to talk golf today because nobody really cares. But it was a memorable night.

I struggled all last week to get off the tee and it was happening again this week. My brain knew what I was doing wrong but my body was not listening.  There are 3 things I do wrong.

1. back swing to fast
2. don't extend my arms (come inside)
3. I don't HIT the ball (nice and easy is a fallacy)

If I do one of those I slice off the tee and for 16 holes I was doing at least one of those but it was a different one every hole. 

So after my 3rd horrendous par 3 tee-off that went literally 15 yards I was a little . . pissed.  Hole #8 is a par 357 yard hole and I was determined to smack the shit out of the ball to relieve some inner anger. 

WELL - I did.  I CRUSHED the drive down the middle.  I kept walking and walking and when I arrived at my ball I asked - how long IS this hole.  I was 80 yards from the middle of the green.

Seems my drive went 270 yards. . . . . . of course it took my 5 more shots to get into he hole.  #9 the drive was 200 don the middle and shot #2 was 180 and was happy with a par.  So YES - I WILL take my clubs to the mountains for some mountain golf.   Had a 51 on the front 9 (16 of those were on par 3s).

********************* 

I was listening to the Rockies playing the Dodgers in LA. The organ player was playing some sort of random ballpark ditty and all of a sudden a guy I had not thought about for 30 years pops into my head.

Larry Rothbart sat next to me at Warner Park when the Madison Muskies played.  I ran the score board and Larry was on my left and Dave Collins (Voice of the Chadron State Eagles) was on my right and sat next to me for 3 or 4 years and somehow that random ditty triggered something.

I texted a facebook friend Mike McCoy worked for the Muskies way back then. The actual President  (Bob Drew)  passed away a few months ago just after I became FB friends with him (not my fault).  His claim to fame was he broadcast the longest baseball game in professional sports (at least as of 30 years ago) Something like 32 or 35 innings (there seems to be different stories) and there are a few books about it.   He was behind the mic for all 32 (or 35) innings.       

ANYWAY - the rest of the story. I might have said this once but when Mike and I linked up via face book we were FB friends for a few years and then I put an image up and he contacts me and says 'Wait what?  this is your artwork?"  and I say yea. and he says "my wife gave me this for Christmas a few years ago!"

Such a small world.  again.

***********************

OK - gotta run to get my passport. Columbus no longer does passports yet the USPS still will tell you when and where to go if you have a 53925 ZIP.  FAIL!! 

Gotta run to Beaver Dam instead.

Quebic City . . if you are wondering.  My new passport photo does not make me look as much like a terrorists. Just an old crazed person.  VICTORY!

**********************************************

JUST heard - Ho Chunk no longer has LIVE poker.

**********************************************

Stock market is tumbling (and will rise tomorrow I bet) and Gold is HOT as Trump cancels the North Korean Summit because Un is mean.  WHO KNEW THAT WAS COMING!!  LOL

+++++++++++++++