Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Final thoughts

I'm not going to dwell on the subject since it seems the town is all a buzz anyway.  Yesterday I had a few politically incorrect paragraphs about what happened in town Friday. I deleted those paragraphs because some people thought I was anti police officers which I am not in any way.  I respect the Columbus Police Officers 99% of the time and I feel they do an outstanding job, I really do. However  I did not respect their actions Friday.  I never ever publicly condemned any officers as it was falsely reported in a blast email.  I did publicly condemned the Friday operation. There is a BIG difference.

Since I am an alderman many of my constitutes have been asking for my thoughts (since many don't read this blog until late) and I'll put this politically correctly -  I found the operation deplorable and embarrassing.

I was drilled a new asshole and was called irresponsible in an email sent to EVERYBODY,   Hey - I'm just voicing my personal opinion.   Hell, I think I became an alderman because I voice the opinions of many people in Columbus and they voted for me because they agree with me.

I have railed against the City Administrator,  the Police Department, Recreation, DPW, the Mayor, fellow alderman and I THINK I argued with the Popcorn Cart people.  The only person I have never gone after was the former City Clerk (she scared the hell out of me).  Should we just be lemmings and follow along and keep quiet?  Being an alderman I have taken shots about how hideous and stupid and inept the Columbus Government is.  So it works both ways.

Anybody that has read my personal  blog for the past 8 years know I am a downtown cheerleader and will fight and argue (to a fault) tooth and nail to make our downtown a place people want to visit. I've been a politician for 4 years and am not an "expert" in urban renewal but take this job seriously.  I have read 4 books cover to cover on how to make communities a better place to live and the answer in all of those books? . . . . .many many many small things that look unimportant by themselves but as a whole give you a chance to be something better.  Make it so families have things to do, bike paths, better faster internet a friendly police force and so forth.  If you bring the families the businesses will follow (and they are).

I love this town and see so much potential and know there are a lot of good things coming in the near future. We NEED more residents as more and more businesses are looking to move here and some big expansions are coming (none of them for official public consumption yet) so any negative blip really gets my attention.

ANYWAY - Nuff said and I will drop the subject.  In other news.  It looks like Council is leaning towards putting a step in on the sidewalk issue on James Street.  DOT will not put in a railing (which is needed) and if they did it would be the cheapest thing they could fine.

Metal people
My idea was that we have enough metal people in Columbus and perhaps we can get some metal artwork/railing instead of standard steel pipes.

again - this is one of those tiny things that show prospective business owners and tourists that we care.

Trees, benches, bike racks, artwork help make the downtown a place people want to visit and meet and hang out.


************************

OH - it was said that I support the legalization of marijuana (the CORRECT term is cannabis). no - not really. I feel there are employment issues in legal states and see problems. I'm not against it but only 60% for it for financial reason.  I am 100% pro decimalization so our police officers can do more important things.

=======================

According to the Kaiser Family Foundation health care premiums in 2016 were up 3% last year in America.  Weird as I keep hearing ads on conservative radio saying 20% .  It's almost as they are lying to America.

 ========================

The new bill the GOP is trying to pass to repeal  the Affordable Care Act TOOK OUT $45 billion in funding to combat opiate addiction and treatment.   Seems the GOP feels opiate addiction and treatment is not that important.

Rod